Wilson Castle in Proctor, Vt., USA, began in 1867 by Doctor and Lady Johnson. He was a Vermonter who went to England to study medicine. While there he met and married a wealthy lady of the aristocracy. After 7 years of planning and construction the castle was completed at the sum of $1,300,000 U.S. The Johnsonís remained in the castle for only a brief time.
From the 1880s until 1939, the castle was bought and sold four times. In 1939, a radio engineer named Herbert Lee Wilson, came to Vermont. He was a pioneer in the A.M. radio field and built radio stations all over the world. He was looking for a new location to build another station and a summer home for his family. He bought the castle and installed radio station WEWE in the old stable, which remains in operation.